Sunday, August 2, 2009

Making Basil Pesto

The 3 basil plants that I have in my garden have become quite large and it was time to lop off the tops for a large batch of basil pesto. So the trimmings went for a cold water swim in the kitchen sink. Then I dried them on a towel while I gathered the remaining ingredients.



For a small batch I put in 25 large leaves, 1/3 c olive oil, 1/4 c grated parmesan, 1/4 c pine nuts, 1 large sprig of flat leafed parsley, the zest of 1 lemon, one clove of garlic (pressed), a dash of salt and pepper, and a pinch of lemon pepper.






I whirred it up in the blender and it turned to a smooth green spread . What didn't go into the pasta and veggie dish was bagged up and placed in the freezer for pizza and sandwich spreads later.





MMM... delicious!

1 comment:

Heckety said...

Thank you, that's very useful. I'll be trying it by and by.