Thursday, October 7, 2010

Topiary Fun

My garden fun and whimsy happens to be my topiary collection.  I grew two this year and they are both animals.  The giraffe stands about 36 inches high and the alligator is a generous 29 inches long.
additional trimming after it was cut loose from the groundcover

The one that turned out best is my alligator.  I have the wire form stuffed with green moss and he is planted up with a variety of succulents.  Usually he resides by the walkway that leads to our side door. 


alligator on the walkway


However, this summer I was experimenting at growing a ground cover on his body as a filler between the hens and chicks (sempervivum)So he needed to grow under the maple tree for about 5 weeks until the sedum took root.  I set him free tonight when I trimmed him loose and moved him to my favorite sunning spot.


This is not the best photo of the giraffe, so I'll have to get a better viewpoint.  But it is growing directly in the garden and the ivy came back from last season.  I was surprised about that.  It may be due to the early and heavy snow cover we got so early in the season.  The snow probably acted as an insulator.
Umbrella Topiary (grown in 2008 and 2009)

No comments: