Thursday, February 2, 2012

Pink Lemonade Doll Quilt Along


I have been drawn in by the Humble Quilts blog that Lori writes. I especially have enjoyed seeing the enthusiasm for her quaint little doll quilts she has been designing to share with the blog world. Shown above are the tops for "Strawberry Fields" and the latest, "Pink Lemonade".

I used only fabrics from my stash to piece this cute little treasure.  Most of the parts are scraps leftover from my Thimbleberries club quilts.  I happened to have yardage for the pink background and the yellow setting squares.  Those 2 fabrics are patterned, but read as solids, since the print is so subtle.  I don't think I would have ever used the pink in anything else, but it was just the perfect hue for this little replica!

My Pink Lemonade Top
Cheddar Cheese and Crackers, in progress

 The piecing on the Cheddar and Crackers has been a fun challenge.  I need to keep looking back at a computer photo I saved for a reference.  I also have a pen and ink sketch I made to leave by my machine for a cheat sheet, because I'm finding it a bit tricky.

working on blocks

More blocks and corner pieces; Need more Candy!


Pink Lemonade has been such a breeze to piece.  There were no challenging parts to this, just simple, pleasurable sewing.  I could be very relaxed while stitching this one! LOVE IT!!!
I will take care of the quilting in the month of February  and hope to get a binding on it to use in my classroom for a decoration.  I have several 3rd - 6th grade students that admire new projects I bring in to share.

20 comments:

Lori said...

Ah, Kathy, that is the sweetest post! I love your little quilts and am glad you are putting together CC&C. Thanks for sewing along and adding your link!! Loved seeing Midnight Stars too.

Libby said...

I love both of your little quilts. I am thinking about going back and doing one of Lori's other quilts! I would love to come sew with you! I have a featherweight and chocolate on hand too!

Anonymous said...

Love the two quilts and that you share your projects with 3rd to 6th graders.
Lillian @ lillianscupboard.wordpress.com

Ellen said...

Your little quilts are fabulous. I love visiting Lori's blog. She has many great projects that I have on my to-do list.

Karen said...

It was enjoyable seeing all the little quilts you have made or in the works on from Lori's sew-alongs.

One Minnesota Quilter said...

Had to smile at the M&Ms! :)

Both of your little quilts look great. I just finished my first of Lori's quilts. It was fun.

Your CC&C is looking good too. That looks like a neat quilt to have when it is done. Hope you will post when you are finished!

Dawn said...

Love your pink lemonade.
Wonderful featherweight - it was a fun visit to your blog!

Lesley said...

Love your little quilts and the fabrics that you chose. Pink lemonade is delicious! The cheddar quilt looks like it will be gorgeous. Was that part of a previous quilt along?

libbyquilter said...

i so agree with you in regards to the pink lemonade being a breeze to stitch and it was quite fun. yours is lovely.
i managed to keep up with the strawberry fields quilt-a-long but didn't do the cheddar cheese and crackers. i still have plans to go back and do it but not sure just when . . .

your little featherweight looks a whole lot like mine~!

:-)
libbyQ

Angie said...

Love your scrappy churn dash blocks and the overall soft effect of your colors!

Béa said...

Beautiful top, I too had finished the 2 others Lori's quilts. I love these little doll quilts.

Quilter Kathy said...

Enjoyed reading your post! Every photo is beautiful!

Mary said...

Oh yes, I'm with you on the needing MORE CHOLOLATE. My problem was cutting out all those HST and QST Background squares. I had a few left over...go figure. Nice quilts you have to share with your Classroom. I hope to hand quilt mine soon.

Ruth said...

Your pink lemonade is adorable! I made 2 of the Cheddar Cheese & Crackers quilts, but not the others. The CC&C didn't look too hard, so I decided to make 2 of them and it is quite tricky. I really love it though.

Janet O. said...

I like all of these, but the cheddar cheese and crackers really jumps out at me. Maybe I need to look back through her blog and find it. But then, if it is tricky, maybe not. : )

Ann Marie said...

Your little quilts look great. I'm planning to do Lori's Cheddar Cheese one next too.

Maureen said...

Such sweet little quilts!. I especially love the blue fabrics in strawberry fields. Cheese and crackers does look a bit tricky, but it looks like you are doing a great job of it.

Sharon said...

Your Pink Lemonade turned out so pretty. I love the Cheese and Crackers, but have not tried it yet. Have fun!

Jan Maree said...

Hi there, Just wanted to let you know that I have nominated you for a Liebster Award. Some people aren't all that keen on awards so I hope you don't mind but I thought you were a worthy recipient.

Lori Decoite said...

your quilts are beautiful!! thanks for leaving a comment on my blog!!