Friday, August 9, 2013

University of Wisconsin testGarden

Somewhere near UW-Stevens Point there is a remote test garden.   We took time to stop and have a walk around.  Since all other times we just have to glance at it from the road while going 65 mph. 


As you can tell from the photos, it's quite lovely.  They had an alley of stargazer lilies companion planted with liatris that what just at its prime.  I took my time on that path.


Next I saw a cute planting that was inspired by a quilt!


Kale and coleus were used to make this annual planting that they had designed in a quilt like pattern.  It may need just a few more weeks to grow in, but I imagine it will be very eye catching with the purples reds and golds for the autumn.

Shown in the next photo is a butterfly garden.

I am standing on the mosaic pathway that is shaped like a butterfly body.  The wings are planted with bee balm, purple coneflower, salvia, and other summer blooming perennials.  It was completed with some wrought iron antennae to add a bit of whimsy.. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing. I've never seen a quilt planting before.
Lillian